– What is the Stigmata?
– When one shows one or all of the five wounds of Christ.
– Usually accompanied by visions of the crucifixion
– Sometimes accompanied by odor of sanctity
– Stigmata can be “spiritual” or “physical”
– Spiritual stigmata is when one doesn’t physically show the signs
– Physical stigmata is when you can actually see and experience the physical
– There is a question as to whether stigmata is psychological, physiological,
spiritual, or a mixture of all the before mentioned.
– First reported case of Stigmata is of Francis of Assisi in 1224
– He reportedly suffered all 5 wounds
– Padre Pio is first priest to receive the Stigmata
– He had all 5 wounds
What do you think of this phenomenon?
What do you think this phenomenon shows about the relationship between God and us?
Here is a two part video series about this phenomenon: